Friday, February 22, 2008

Field Trip Fridays

The last couple Fridays we have just happened to get out and do some fun things. Last week the girls and I visited the State Capital and the Tennessee State Museum. The State Capital building was interesting, the girls were kind of crabby, and we ended up eating our lunch right outside the House of Representative chambers where the legislators eat (they weren't in session), and that made everyone feel a lot better. We went over to the Tennessee State Museum which is in the Tennessee Performing Arts Center. It was fantastic. Somehow, I've never been there, which is weird because I took many field trips to Nashville when I was a kid. The place itself just looks like it would not be that impressive from the entrance, but once you get inside it keeps going on and on. . . Native American relics, Civil War stuff, lots of beautiful old painted portraits, antebellum stuff, a lot of Black History stuff, a real mummy, and more. I really loved it and I want to go back and spend more time there. There is so much to see. The girls liked it relatively well too, they seemed to enjoy themselves. It was a nice day and we took public transit (bus) to go downtown, there's a stop a block from here, so we had no worry about parking and got to see the city from that viewpoint. Nice. Unfortunately, I brought my camera, but forgot to take my memory card out of the computer and so I didn't get any pictures! &%@*! I was so mad, and there were some great photo-ops! Oh well, I guess we'll be back.

We had a chance to go back to the Frist Center today and see the "Monet to Dali" exhibit with some other homeschool families from the Farm School Satellite Campus Program, where the girls are students and and I am, ahem, a faculty member (weird Tennessee homeschool laws). Again, I was pleasantly surprised with the Frist, the paintings were just absolutely gorgeous. A lot of them we were familiar with from Naomi's Go Fish for Art card game! If anyone reading this lives around here, I encourage you to go see it, it's in Nashville till June 1st. Plus, we had fun hanging out with some other really cool families which was a nice bonus.

You've probably had your fill of pictures of the girls doing art, but just in case you haven't, I took some pictures at the Frist and at painting class today. Oh, and they're supposed to be going to Cheekwood in the morning to do some more painting with Lafayette (their painting teacher), so if I'm lucky, Bobby will take more pictures tomorrow, and I can post even more!

At the Frist Artquest gallery with Daddy. . .

At Lafayette's painting class after much inspiration from the likes of Picasso, Monet, Dali, and Renoir, just to name a few!. . .

No comments: